Amanda-Users

Cluster backup

2006-05-31 06:45:07
Subject: Cluster backup
From: "Nicola Mauri" <Nicola.Mauri AT saga DOT it>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:37:56 +0200

We are constantly encountering strange errors whith DLEs that refer to cluster virtual addresses.

  virtualA /apps/a lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
  virtualB /apps/b  RESULTS MISSING

The disklist contains:

  node1     /etc       full    # Physical node 1
  node2     /etc       full    # Physical node 2
  virtualA  /apps/a    full    # virtual address A
  virtualB  /apps/b    full    # virtual address B

Error messages are not predictable and may change every day. They completely disappear if - in the disklist file - we replace the virtual address with the node's physical address which is running the service (and is currently mounting the shared partition we need to backup). Obviously, services and partitions might be relocated to another cluster node, so this approach won't work.

I guess this happens because amanda server treats "node1", "virtualA" and "virtualB" like three distinct hosts, whereas in some situations thay may refer to a single physical host, with a single amanda client instance responding.

Can someone suggest how to solve this issues and how to configure Amanda to backup a cluster environment?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Nicola