Amanda-Users

Re: How to Partial full backup

2006-05-29 07:06:13
Subject: Re: How to Partial full backup
From: "Rajeh kuri" <rajeshkuri AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:29:38 +0530
Hi Joshua,

You are right. I have only one DLE. You said Amanda strives (very
hard) to do a level 0
of each DLE (disklist entry) once per dumpcycle, and then do incrementals
on the other runs.  It doesn't automatically divide DLEs.

What is the meaning of incrementals you are referring to. Is it backup
level 1 where it will always take modified files withrespect to last
full backup OR backup level 2-9 it will backup the files with respect
to last incremental backup.

I am following the below definition for Differential and Incremental:

Level 0 : Full backup
Level 1  or Differential backup: backup every thing that has changed
since the last level 0 backup.

Incremental OR Level 2-9 : Backup only that has changed since last level backup.
Please help me out from this issue.

-- Regards
rajesh

On 5/29/06, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu> wrote:
On Mon, 29 May 2006 at 2:52pm, Rajeh kuri wrote

> I modified the "amanda.conf"  file for following parameters
>
> dumpcycle 10 days
> runspercycle 10
>
> As per my understanding the backup data is devided into ten equal
> parts and every amdump run will backup the some ( 1/10th of entire

That's not exactly true.  Amanda strives (very hard) to do a level 0
of each DLE (disklist entry) once per dumpcycle, and then do incrementals
on the other runs.  It doesn't automatically divide DLEs.

> data) data. When i restore the data after running First time "amdump"
> i get full backup.
> And when i run "amdump" 2nd time it will not backup any thing if
> nothing has been changed in backup directory.

I'm guess you only have 1 DLE.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering