Amanda-Users

Re: How to Partial full backup

2006-05-29 06:04:55
Subject: Re: How to Partial full backup
From: "Rajeh kuri" <rajeshkuri AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:26:52 +0530
Hi Paul,

Will you please guide me where iam going  wrong.

Why cannot amdump will take partial bakcup. Is it neccessery to run
"amdump" through
cron tab.
Iam manually running the amdump command when i configured for Partial
full backup.

Please clearify.

On 2006-05-29 11:22, Rajeh kuri wrote:
> I am not  much familiar with backup terminology, and evaluating AMANDA
> software.
>
> I am in the process of  testing partial full backup ( As per my
> understanding Partial full  backup is distribution of the backup data
> across the time to take full backup)
>
> I modified the "amanda.conf"  file for following parameters
>
> dumpcycle 10 days
> runspercycle 10
>
> As per my understanding the backup data is devided into ten equal
> parts and every amdump run will backup the some ( 1/10th of entire
> data) data. When i restore the data after running First time "amdump"
> i get full backup.
> And when i run "amdump" 2nd time it will not backup any thing if
> nothing has been changed in backup directory.
>

> Whether the AMANDA will support this kind of bakcup mechanism or Am i
> going wrong any where.

This is one of the features that Amanda is best at!  It's the default
algorithm inside Amanda.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *