Amanda-Users

Re: Windows clients

2006-05-22 06:56:09
Subject: Re: Windows clients
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: john.clement AT readingroom DOT com
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:50:16 +0700 (ICT)
> Any suggestions? - I know its poossible through samba, cygwin etc, but
> in people's experience, what's the best way of backing up Windows?

I do archive clients with samba. It mostly work. I never tried any
real restore though. I know it does not preserve the ACL, but that is
a minor issue as people are supposed to put their personnal files on
the samba server, not on the local disk (at least for the machine that
have multiple users).

I never tried cygwin. If you are familiar with cygwin, that gievn it
is a server (a machine with a specific configuration, opposed to a
client where you have 50 or 100 machines with similar configuration)
it would be worth taking the time to install cygwin client: you get
full functionnality of amanda, it uses a portable gzip and tar
format...

Bests,

Olivier