Amanda-Users

RE: Windows clients

2006-05-22 06:47:20
Subject: RE: Windows clients
From: "John Clement" <john.clement AT readingroom DOT com>
To: "Olivier Nicole" <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:38:14 +0100

OK, thanks for that, it makes sense!  And thanks to Jon for the dd
suggestions etc...

I've now dd'ed off the header of that back up and got:

AMANDA: FILE 20060519 autonomy.deanst.rroom.net /mnt_f/Websites lev 0
comp .gz program nttar
To restore, position tape at start of file and run:
      dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 | /usr/bin/gzip -dc | ttar -f... -

Which confirms what you're saying.  I had a quick google for nttar and
the first hit was to a Win 32 client project on SourceForge from back in
2001!  So it looks like there is some arcane backup client on this
windows server.  Might be a good time to upgrade to something more
current!

Any suggestions? - I know its poossible through samba, cygwin etc, but
in people's experience, what's the best way of backing up Windows?

Thanks,

jc