Amanda-Users

Windows clients

2006-05-19 07:40:54
Subject: Windows clients
From: "John Clement" <john.clement AT readingroom DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:01 +0100
Having been reading the documentation (chapter 6 (Restoring) of the
official docs inparticular) I've got restores working for the Linux
hosts ok, deciding that restoring on the server then moving the restored
file to the client for extracting being the favoured method.  However
I've now started trying to do the same on some Windows hosts and its not
playing ball.

There's no Cygwin on the client, nor is it using samba (DLE below)

autonomy.deanst.rroom.net       /mnt_c/Autonomy
comp-root-tar-win

And the dump type

define dumptype comp-root-tar-win {
    root-tar
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    compress client fast
}

As far as I can see there is some sort of amanda client installed on the
windows machine, that lives in c:\usr\amanda

Listing of that dir (if its any use to anyone):

C:\usr\amanda>dir
 Volume in drive C is SYSTEM
 Volume Serial Number is 54A9-A4D6

 Directory of C:\usr\amanda

12/04/2006  12:44    <DIR>          .
12/04/2006  12:44    <DIR>          ..
03/03/2006  13:25            24,064 amanda_svc.exe
12/04/2006  12:44    <DIR>          etc
12/04/2006  12:44               925 install-service.cmd
12/04/2006  12:44    <DIR>          libexec
               2 File(s)         24,989 bytes
               4 Dir(s)   3,028,369,408 bytes free

To restore it I'm using

amrestore /dev/nst0 autonomy.deanst.rroom.net '/mnt_c/Autonomy$'

Which returns

amrestore:  13: restoring
autonomy.deanst.rroom.net._mnt__c_Autonomy.20060518.1

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 32768+32768, wrote 0
amrestore: pipe reader has quit in middle of file.

So, does all this make sense to some one out there, or seeing as I don't
know how this client was installed or from what, maybe someone can
suggest a better way of getting amanda to back this machine up?  There
are quite a few hosts being backed up with samba too, but I'd like to
get away from samba if possible to reduce all those 'strange' errors in
the backup reports.

As always, any help gratefully received!!

Thanks, jc