Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring from tapes

2006-05-09 23:04:55
Subject: Re: Restoring from tapes
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: gilnaveh1 AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 08:59:53 +0700 (ICT)
> We have a new Solaris server that can be connected to the tape drive
> as well.  Should I install Amanda server on that new server √ to
> prepare for a disaster on the main Amanda server?

You got a lot of information in Paul's reply.

I should add to that:

> Some people rsync/ftp the config/log/index files to a different
> server after running amdump.

DO IT. I also email to myself the contents of tapelist and amadmin
config export. I put all that in a script that I run after each amdump
or amflush. So I know at any time what I got on what tape and what is
the next tape to use.

> Or create CD with the Amanda binaries, gzip, gnutar, the version of dump
> that you used etc. that can be used in emergencies.

I created a version of amrestore that is statically linked (so it can
work even from simgle user mode, without /usr mounted) that uses a
local (/bin) copy of gtar and gzip. So even if I only have the /
partition I can restore stuff.

A couple of personnal recepies:

recover / partition of Amanda server
https://wwws.cs.ait.ac.th/amanda/recoveremail.txt

recover /usr partition on Amanda server
https://wwws.cs.ait.ac.th/amanda/recoveremail2.txt

(Yes I had both case in the last part 6 months).

Best regards,

Olivier