Amanda-Users

Re: Subset dumps?

2006-05-09 22:03:55
Subject: Re: Subset dumps?
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 20:54:08 -0400
On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 11:35:45AM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2006-05-09 09:34, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> >Been a bad week for my backups.  Today, we had a mostly catastrophic
> >loss of a vtape filesystem, lost 14 of 18 vtapes on our busiest Amanda
> >server.  I'm just finishing picking up the pieces now and getting
> >things back on track.
[snip]
> For the future:  If the vtapes are really important, make it a
> RAID system, and/or use RAIT to mirror the Amanda backups to
> tape + disk or disk + external disk.

Heh.  The filesystem was a 2.0 TB LUN on an EMC CX300 SAN.  RAID, redundant
connections, the whole nine yards.  Looks like we either hit a bug in
the HBA driver or tripped some kind of Linux 2.4.5-esque filesystem
damage.  It won't even fsck.

> Note that the "host" and "disk" arguments are expressions
> and that you may specify many of them.

Somehow, after you stare at man pages long enough, you start to think
you know what's there.  For me, at least, I only *think* I know.

I've often found that asking questions on a mailing list is a great
way to set this straight!  Thanks for the tip Paul.  Funny how it was
staring me in the face this whole time!

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us