Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring from tapes

2006-05-09 17:25:20
Subject: Re: Restoring from tapes
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: gil naveh <gilnaveh1 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 23:20:52 +0200
gil naveh schreef:
hi,
We have a Solaris server that runs multiple applications including Amanda server. This server is connected to a tape drive were the backup files are being stored (by Amanda).

So far, data is stored and successfully recovered from the tapes. However, what can be done in case the Amanda server is crushed? Are there indexes on the server that enables the restoration or can I restore the files from a different server?
What is the best practice to prepare for such event?

We have a new Solaris server that can be connected to the tape drive as well. Should I install Amanda server on that new server – to prepare for a disaster on the main Amanda server?
Any suggestions comments are mostly welcome.
Many thanks,
gil

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Restoring_files

Restoring with amanda utilities is easier, but Amanda utilities
are not necessary. You should it easy for yourself.

Make the DLE's that contains the amanda binaries and the config,
log and index files not too large, making it quicker to restore those.

Do not use "tape_splitsize" on that DLE.

Do not encrypt this DLE.

Maybe even avoid compression on that DLE  (when gzip is not
part of a simple OS on your hardware -- e.g. gzip is not in Solaris)

Some people rsync/ftp the config/log/index files to a different
server after running amdump.

Or create CD with the Amanda binaries, gzip, gnutar, the version of dump
that you used etc. that can be used in emergencies.

Print out a paper label (with the "lbl-templ" tapetype parameter) that
contains an overview of the host/dle/level etc of the dumps on that
tape, and store that with the tapes.

Not only the server can fail, the tape drive can fail too.  Do you
have a spare tapedrive?  Or can you quickly get one?

Note that some essential information is not included in an Amanda backup: how did you partition the disk? How large? What filesystem?
What options on the filesystems?  Volume manager etc.
You'll need that info to do a bare metal restore.

Last:  train a restore -- the ringing telephones of angry users as
background noise is not the ideal environment to study the manuals
of your OS and Amanda.