Amanda-Users

Restoring from tapes

2006-05-09 13:49:24
Subject: Restoring from tapes
From: gil naveh <gilnaveh1 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda Subscribe <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:43:57 -0700 (PDT)
hi,
We have a Solaris server that runs multiple applications including Amanda server.
This server is connected to a tape drive were the backup files are being stored (by Amanda).

So far, data is stored and successfully recovered from the tapes. However, what can be done in case the Amanda server is crushed? Are there indexes on the server that enables the restoration or can I restore the files from a different server?
What is the best practice to prepare for such event?

We have a new Solaris server that can be connected to the tape drive as well.
Should I install Amanda server on that new server ? to prepare for a disaster on the main Amanda server?
Any suggestions comments are mostly welcome.
Many thanks,
gil