Amanda-Users

RE: Problem with changer

2006-05-09 12:23:07
Subject: RE: Problem with changer
From: "Paul Haldane" <Paul.Haldane AT newcastle.ac DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 17:18:31 +0100

Yup - I would expect the device to use to talk to the changer to be of the form
/dev/sgN.

There's a pair of useful utilities that come as part of the mtx RPM -
loaderinfo and tapeinfo.  If you use these with your sg devices it will soon
become clear which one is your changer.  Even if you  use loaderinfo on a
device which points at a tape drive) or even a disk drive) it's pretty obvious
what it is.  Here's output from one of my machines ...

# loaderinfo -f /dev/sg9
Product Type: Disk Drive
Vendor ID: 'COMPAQ  '
Product ID: 'BD300884C2      '
Revision: 'HPB7'
Attached Changer: No
Bar Code Reader: No
EAAP: No
Transport Geometry Descriptor Page: No
Device Configuration Page: No

# loaderinfo -f /dev/sg10
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'HP      '
Product ID: 'MSL6000 Series  '
Revision: '0423'
Attached Changer: No
Bar Code Reader: Yes
EAAP: Yes
Number of Medium Transport Elements: 1
Number of Storage Elements: 58
Number of Import/Export Element Elements: 2
Number of Data Transfer Elements: 2
Transport Geometry Descriptor Page: Yes
Invertable: No
Device Configuration Page: Yes