Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with changer

2006-05-10 08:46:03
Subject: Re: Problem with changer
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:41:22 +0200
Jon LaBadie schrieb:
On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 09:04:30AM +0200, Stefan MARTEL wrote:
Quoting Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>:

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 11:06, Jon LaBadie wrote:
My autoloader is on /dev/st0 and tape are defined on /dev/nst0
I don't think so.
st0 and nst0 are the "same" device handled differenly on close.
The changer is probably on /dev/sg0 or /dev/sg1.
--
Wiki for Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com/

the problem is that in /dev i don't have sg0 or sg1

You have /dev/.static/dev/sg0.  Is there also in that
directory other sg#'s and st#'s?  I'm unfamiliar with
ubuntu's /dev/.static   But the tape drive (you see it
on sg0, and the changer mechanism, should appear as
different devices.

Hi,
as ubuntu is debian based, this is explaned easy:
/dev/.static/dev/ is the repository from where udev generates the "dynamical created" devices under /dev/ via links.

So if there are no devices under /dev this smells like a problem with udev (device-discovery) and / or loaded modules.
is this a recent 2.6-kernel with a ch-module?
if yes, you'll probably have to load the ch-module by hand to get the devices created and probably you'll have to fix some udev-scripts for scsi-tape-devices to get permisions for the changer other then rw only for root.

Christoph