Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with changer

2006-05-10 09:33:20
Subject: Re: Problem with changer
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:28:59 -0400
On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 02:50:29PM +0200, Stefan MARTEL wrote:

> >  # tapeinfo -f /dev/sg0
> >  Product Type: Tape Drive
> >  Vendor ID: 'HP      '
> >  Product ID: 'C1557A          '
> >
> >  # tapeinfo -f /dev/sg1
> >  Product Type: Medium Changer
> >  Vendor ID: 'HP      '
> >  Product ID: 'C1557A          '
>
> Hi
>
> I had found my error, i had defined each slot in "changerfile" with
> /dev/sg0, but with /dev/nst0, this run better.
> Mtx run better too with /dev/sg0...

I'm not certain you should stop there.  I get some overlap in
what each separate device will accept and respond to.  But to
be sure you are talking to the right part of the unit with a
device name, run the "tapeinfo" command on each device and
besure one says "tape drive" while the other say "medium changer".

> That's great but...
>
> I'am newbie with amanda and i don't know how to configure it doing
> backup on the slot (1,2,3 ...) i want.
> Must i use "crontab" or is amanda manage that ??

You will probably be using the changer script "chg-zd-mtx".
This is specified in the amanda.conf file as well as the
name and location of the changer configuration file.
Setup the changer config file according to the comments
at the beginning of the script chg-zd-mtx.

Crontab comes into play as the way to run your backups
(amdump) as a regular, specified time.  amdump will use
determine what tape it wants to (should) use and will
use chg-zd-mtx to find and load that tape.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)