Amanda-Users

Re: problem upgrading from 2.4.4p1 to 2.5.0p1

2006-05-09 08:11:36
Subject: Re: problem upgrading from 2.4.4p1 to 2.5.0p1
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jeff Moskow <jeff AT rtr DOT com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 14:05:01 +0200
On 2006-05-08 21:35, Jeff Moskow wrote:
Paul,

        Thanks!

        I have the correct permissions on the planner exec.

        I have DLE's on 88 machines and it works fine when I run the 2.4.4p1
code, so
I don't suspect a DLE problem.

Then it looks more like a problem on the server.

        Looking at the amandad.*.debug files on the clients, a number of them
have:

                amandad: dgram_recv: timeout after 10 seconds

           Are there new/different timeouts/timeout values in 2.5.0?

That error shows up as "results missing" in the report, isn't it?
The cause of that problem is frequently a firewall, and because all of
your hosts are affected, I suspect a firewall on the server itself.

Having many DLE's, could also result in a UDP packet overflow.
The max UDP packet in 2.4.5 was 64Kbytes, while in 2.5.0 it is 32K.
But in this case, at least some DLE's should get a result, so I doubt
that is the problem here.

Go through the possible causes/solutions in:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amdump:_results_missing

        When looking in the amdump.X files, I find two different types of
errors/warnings:

            most of the errors are:
                planner: time 2.077: no feature set from host bunny

That means that those clients are very old (2.4.2 ?).  Since then
Amanda server and client exchange features.  When the server encounters
a client that does not sent a feature set, then it uses a builtin
default of all features that existed in 2.4.2.  This is no problem.

            a few are:
                planner: time 8.514: got partial result for host strata disk /: 0 ->
-2K, 1 -> -2K, -1 -> -2K

Those are from a newer client, (2.4.5 or later) which sends a reply
UDP packet whenever one DLE is finished.  For those DLE's that are
still estimating, it sends the above line (there must be some other
DLE from host strata that as numbers different from "-2").

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *