Amanda-Users

Re: Subset dumps?

2006-05-09 05:40:06
Subject: Re: Subset dumps?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 11:35:45 +0200
On 2006-05-09 09:34, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
Hello everyone,

Been a bad week for my backups.  Today, we had a mostly catastrophic
loss of a vtape filesystem, lost 14 of 18 vtapes on our busiest Amanda
server.  I'm just finishing picking up the pieces now and getting
things back on track.

One of the drawbacks of vtapes  :-(.
Compare this to the recurring question why Amanda refuses to append
to tapes. :-)

Note:  it is only the backup that failed, so not that important
as the live data (but still important, we understand).

For the future:  If the vtapes are really important, make it a
RAID system, and/or use RAIT to mirror the Amanda backups to
tape + disk or disk + external disk.

With amdump I can:
        1) Run dumps for an entire config: amdump master
        2) Run dumps for a particular host: amdump hostname
        3) Run dumps for a specific DLE: amdump hostname partition

Is there any way to run dumps for a subset of disklist entries?  For
example, is there someway I can do "amdump [a-h]*"?

First make sure that Amanda does not make false assumpions and do
"amrmtape config tapeX" for each vtape that you have lost.
Then Amanda will schedule full dumps asap for the affected DLE's.

Note that the "host" and "disk" arguments are expressions
and that you may specify many of them.

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda#HOST_.26_DISK_EXPRESSION

 amdump config 'host[12]*' 'file*' /home '/data*'

This will dump :
- all the DLE's of host1 and host2
- all the hosts that begin with "file", e.g. fileserver, or filesrv
   but only the /home partition and all partitions
   beginning with '/data', like "/data", "/datamore" "/data2", etc

We want to make a lot of full backups to make up for what we've lost,
and so we can get back into incrementals ASAP.  Forcing everything to
full greatly outpaces our holding space.

It would have almost been easier to do full dumps that would fill our
holding disk until we finished all the hosts, but I couldn't figure out a
good way to accomplish that...

You may set "maxdumpsize" in amanda.conf to allow Amanda to schedule
a lot more than the "runtapes" you have set in amanda.conf.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *