Amanda-Users

Re: problem upgrading from 2.4.4p1 to 2.5.0p1

2006-05-08 03:35:37
Subject: Re: problem upgrading from 2.4.4p1 to 2.5.0p1
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jeff Moskow <jeff AT rtr DOT com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 09:19:04 +0200
On 2006-05-04 16:35, Jeff Moskow wrote:
Hi,

 I apologize if this shows up twice, I sent it yesterday and didn't see it
show up.

 I'm trying to upgrade our amanda server from 2.4.4p1 to 2.5.0p1
and have run into trouble.

 amcheck is perfectly happy, but when I run amdump, it runs for about 15-20
seconds
and exits.  The amdump log file contains the message:

driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and/or where to look next?

And nothing else?

Have a look in the debug files?

- wrong permissions on the planner exec (because you did not "make
  install" as root?). It should be:
    -rwsr-x---  1 root disk 78370 Apr 26 15:18 planner

- you ran some amanda programs as root, and when that created some
  default files/directories, they got created as root instead of amanda?
  (I think some of those problems will be catched by amcheck, but
  maybe not all.)

- all of your DLE's have a fatal problem.  If you got only one
  DLE or one host, the chance of occurance gets rather high that
  this results in planner generating an empty schedule.

- have a look in the client debug files (/tmp/amanda).

- Anything else in the server log files (amdump.X)?

- is "planner" generating a core dump?  If not enable core dumps
  in the shell before starting amdump (ulimit -c ulimited); you find
  the core dumps in the config directory next to amanda.conf (if any).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *