Amanda-Users

Re: FreeBSD client

2006-04-29 04:23:39
Subject: Re: FreeBSD client
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: John Clement <john.clement AT readingroom DOT com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:16:07 +0300
John Clement wrote:

I can't find any documentation on getting the client working on BSD so started going by all the information I've gleened troubleshooting the Linux machines here.

Getting the client working on FreeBSD is nothing special :) Just install the client (I understand that's already done) and add the amandad entry to /etc/inetd.conf.

> I can't find a .amandahosts file, do I need to create this and if so
> where?  Or should this information go somewhere else?

This file needs to be in the home directory of the amanda user (in your case, operator). You can find out what this directory is by running
chsh operator.

I believe the default home directory for operator on FreeBSD is /

Generally when installing Amanda on FreeBSD I prefer to not use operator but still create a special 'amanda' user and add this user to group 'operator'. Operator's standard home directory being / is one of the reasons - I don't like the idea of amanda files living directly under /. The alternative is to change the home directory of operator to somewhere else, which I also don't like. I *have* done it on some machines, though, and they have been running for several years without problems.

I assume /tmp/amanda should exist on the machine and be writable and ownder by operator:operator (operator being the default username the client seems to install by, and operator being BSD's equiv of 'disk' group), is this so?

Yes. But this directory should be created automatically by Amanda.