Amanda-Users

Scalability information sought

2006-04-28 13:55:59
Subject: Scalability information sought
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:51:02 -0400
At the recent 'Trenton Computer Festival' I was
discussing amanda with a gentleman who asked
something like "how big can amanda go?"

I described hearing about sites with multiple
terrabytes of data, but he was unimpressed.
He was more interested in "number of items".
I guess he meant "clients" or "disklist entries"
in amanda terminology.

He heard I was giving a talk on amanda at a local
users group in a couple of weeks he indicated that
he would be attending.  I'd like to have more
definitive (hopefully impressive :) information
for him at that time.

I looked back at the survey results from a few years
ago.  At that time the respondents reported maximums
of:

        5 TB  total disk capacity
        4 TB  actual data stored
      700 GB  average size of amdump run
       70 clients
        ? disklist entries (not asked in the survey)

If any of you have installations with substantially
higher values than these, I'd love to hear of it.

You can email me directly rather than littering the
list.  I can always post a summary of what I hear.

Thanks,
jon
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)