Amanda-Users

Defining a sensible backup routine

2006-04-17 07:17:50
Subject: Defining a sensible backup routine
From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:15:07 +0100
I'm not having any problems with amanda, but the results do seem
'over-the'top' for my needs, which leads me to wonder whether I need to
change some parameters.

At the moment there are three DLEs.  One is a backup of the whole /home with a
few exceptions, and that is quite big, around 21GB.  The other two are
relatively small, less than 1GB each.  The amount of data that changes in a
day is quite small.  The DLEs are set to a 4-day rotation, but in practice I
am seeing level 0 backups almost every other day, for all of them.

It would seem reasonable, to me, based on the small amount of changes, to have
a level0 weekly, for all of them, I think.

There are other areas that I haven't been including, but intend to.  These
consist of home video, so contain a few large files in each directory.  These
do not change at all, so only new material would need to be backed up.  I'm
thinking that maybe I should comment out everything else and run a backup on
the video directories only when new material is added, then comment out the
video DLEs and continue with normal ones afterwards.  Would that be sensible?

I did wonder if it was possible to define a completely separate set of
parameters for these video directories, using a monthly rotation, say, but I
get the impression that that's not possible.

I'd be glad of any advice, hints and tips, for tackling these issues.

Anne