Amanda-Users

Re: Defining a sensible backup routine

2006-04-17 09:13:01
Subject: Re: Defining a sensible backup routine
From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:02:28 +0100
On Monday 17 April 2006 13:47, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:15:07PM +0100, Anne Wilson enlightened us:
> > I did wonder if it was possible to define a completely separate set of
> > parameters for these video directories, using a monthly rotation, say,
> > but I get the impression that that's not possible.
>
> You could do a second config for this. I currently run 2 configs, one is a
> Daily backup, the other is a Quarterly "archival" dump that uses the same
> disklist, but doesn't record anything and forces fulls. I don't have the
> second config in cron anywhere, when it gets to the right time I simply
>
> "touch /etc/amanda/Dailies/hold" to prevent the Dailies from running, then
> run "amdump Fulls" by hand. When it's done, I remove the hold file and
> amanda continues with the Dailies as usual. (Usually this is one command:
> amdump Fulls && rm /etc/amanda/Dailies/hold, so I don't have to babysit).

Hi, Matt.

I can see how this could work, using one disklist.  My problem, though, is
that I need (I think) a separate disklist, so that the video files don't go
into frequent level 0 backups when nothing has changed.

I'm quite happy to do the manual backup for those, rather than cron, because I
can simple do it on the occasional day that I have added video files.  I just
can't work out how to handle two disklists.

Anne