Amanda-Users

Re: Making certain the correct changer slot is selected before running amdump

2006-04-14 23:29:19
Subject: Re: Making certain the correct changer slot is selected before running amdump
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:24:04 -0400
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:08:45PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2006-04-14 17:15, stan wrote:
> >I'm having trouble adapting to life with a "tape changer".
> >I'm used to Amanda with a single tape drive, and it seems to
> >pretty much be ready for the next tape when I insert it.
> >
> >My new setup is RAIT with chg-multi (one side vtape, and the other
> >a real tape drive). Has anyone worked out a way to make certain
> >that the correct "slot" is selected? I am wondering if someone
> >might have written a warper script for amtape? I've tried just
> >putting "amtape config slot next" in my amdump wrapper script,
> >but sometimes that's not really what needs to the done. For example,
> >I put a new tape in yesterday, did a manual amtape next, and an
> >amlabel. And forgot to do an amtape slot previous, so last nights
> >dumps went to the holding disk, even though the correct tape
> >was in the drive :-(
>
> The correct tape was in the physical drive, but on in the vtape
> slot.  So amanda wanted to verify the label, and noticed that
> the rait broke (the mirror was incorrect).
>
> I guess you did some manipulations with half of the mirror,
> because if you did a amlabel then both tapes should have
> the same label.  Is that what happened?

No, I pretty much shot myself in the foot. It's the first run through
a set of 25 vtapes, and physical tapes. I did an amtape to advance to
the next vatep position, did an amlabel, and _fogot_ to do an amtape
slot prev, since the nightly amdump script (at present) does an amtape slot
next.

What I would like to do is replace the amtape slot next in the amdump
wrapper script to something a bit "smarter" that would hunt for
the correct slot in the "changer". Where correct is defiend as the
label that amdump is expecting next (or an unused label), _and_
where teh vtape lable matches what is in the physical tape drive
assuming that that label fits the first critereia.

I can probably write such a thing, but I was hoping that someone
else might have already done sothing here.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror