Amanda-Users

Re: Making certain the correct changer slot is selected before running amdump

2006-04-14 13:12:58
Subject: Re: Making certain the correct changer slot is selected before running amdump
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:08:45 +0200
On 2006-04-14 17:15, stan wrote:
I'm having trouble adapting to life with a "tape changer".
I'm used to Amanda with a single tape drive, and it seems to
pretty much be ready for the next tape when I insert it.

My new setup is RAIT with chg-multi (one side vtape, and the other
a real tape drive). Has anyone worked out a way to make certain
that the correct "slot" is selected? I am wondering if someone
might have written a warper script for amtape? I've tried just putting "amtape config slot next" in my amdump wrapper script,
but sometimes that's not really what needs to the done. For example,
I put a new tape in yesterday, did a manual amtape next, and an amlabel. And forgot to do an amtape slot previous, so last nights
dumps went to the holding disk, even though the correct tape
was in the drive :-(

The correct tape was in the physical drive, but on in the vtape
slot.  So amanda wanted to verify the label, and noticed that
the rait broke (the mirror was incorrect).

I guess you did some manipulations with half of the mirror,
because if you did a amlabel then both tapes should have
the same label.  Is that what happened?

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *