Amanda-Users

Re: asking for real-life examples of Amanda implementations for upcoming book

2006-04-14 07:38:16
Subject: Re: asking for real-life examples of Amanda implementations for upcoming book
From: Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT be
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:31:12 +0200

> >-----------------------
> >Name of your organization (optional, but highly desirable). If you
> > can't tell the name of your employer, maybe you can tell what kind of
> > organization that is, e.g. university, manufacturing company,
> > financial services, government, etc

PeopleWare NV - Belgium

Tailor made software; consultancy

> >Any interesting Amanda stories you can tell.

> >For how long have you been using Amanda? (I especially look for
> > examples where people used Amanda for more than a year in production)

4+ years

> >What is your current version of Amanda?

2.4.4p4

> >What OS do you use for Amanda server?

SuSE Linux 9.x and 10.0

> >How many Amanda servers do you have?

One

9

> >What operating systems do you backup?

SuSE Linux, MacOSx, Windows

> >What is total amount of data you backup?

35GB

> >Do you use dump or tar and why?

tar possibility to exclude and use subdir's

> >How often do you do full backups?

Daily :-)

> >I am very interested in examples of tape-free implementations of
> > Amanda, where backups are done only to disk.

> >How large is your holding disk?

20GB.

> >How often do you restore files? (on average and what are thy typical
> >scenarios)

Weekly, mostly due to accidental deletion on Samba shares; source code is kept in CVS.

> >Do you use compression and where (hardware, client or server)?

server (for Windows machines) and client

> >Do you use encryption and which one?

No

> >How do you backup Windows? (if you have any)

Amanda - SMBClient