Amanda-Users

asking for real-life examples of Amanda implementations for upcoming book

2006-04-13 15:23:32
Subject: asking for real-life examples of Amanda implementations for upcoming book
From: "Dmitri Joukovski" <dj AT zmanda DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:18:38 -0700
Hi there,I am co-writing with Stefan G. Weichinger the Amanda chapter for
the upcoming 'Backup on a Budget' book and I'd like to describe a few
real-life implementations of Amanda. It would be beneficial to the readers
if you could provide me with some info to the questions below (it's OK to
skip some questions).

I would appreciate replies within the next day or two. Don't worry if you
don't have time now. In the next month or two I plan conducting in-depth
survey of Amanda users that will be done online.

-----------------------
Name of your organization (optional, but highly desirable). If you can't
tell the name of your employer, maybe you can tell what kind of organization
that is, e.g. university, manufacturing company, financial services,
government, etc

Any interesting Amanda stories you can tell.

For how long have you been using Amanda? (I especially look for examples
where people used Amanda for more than a year in production)

What is your current version of Amanda?

What OS do you use for Amanda server?

How many Amanda servers do you have?

How many Amanda clients per server do you have? (I especially look for
examples with 10+ clients)

What operating systems do you backup?

What is total amount of data you backup?

Do you use dump or tar and why?

How often do you do full backups?

I am very interested in examples of tape-free implementations of Amanda,
where backups are done only to disk.

What tape drives and what autochanger do you use?

How large is your holding disk?

How often do you restore files? (on average and what are thy typical
scenarios)

Do you use compression and where (hardware, client or server)?

Do you use encryption and which one?

How do you backup Windows? (if you have any)
---------
Please reply directly to dj AT zmanda DOT com

Thank you so much.
Dmitri Joukovski