Amanda-Users

Re: asking for real-life examples of Amanda implementations for upcoming book

2006-04-13 23:00:46
Subject: Re: asking for real-life examples of Amanda implementations for upcoming book
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:54:19 -0400
On Thursday 13 April 2006 15:18, Dmitri Joukovski wrote:
>Hi there,I am co-writing with Stefan G. Weichinger the Amanda chapter
> for the upcoming 'Backup on a Budget' book and I'd like to describe a
> few real-life implementations of Amanda. It would be beneficial to
> the readers if you could provide me with some info to the questions
> below (it's OK to skip some questions).
>
>I would appreciate replies within the next day or two. Don't worry if
> you don't have time now. In the next month or two I plan conducting
> in-depth survey of Amanda users that will be done online.
>
>-----------------------
>Name of your organization (optional, but highly desirable). If you
> can't tell the name of your employer, maybe you can tell what kind of
> organization that is, e.g. university, manufacturing company,
> financial services, government, etc

Home, basicly hobby, 4 or 5 machines when they are all running.
>Any interesting Amanda stories you can tell.
>
>For how long have you been using Amanda? (I especially look for
> examples where people used Amanda for more than a year in production)

About 7 years.

>What is your current version of Amanda?

2.5.0-20060411 snapshot, just installed 10 minutes ago.

>What OS do you use for Amanda server?

Linux, somewhat FC2, many many hacks.

1

>How many Amanda clients per server do you have? (I especially look for
>examples with 10+ clients)

2 when everything is running, I need to go put a power supply in my emc2
box in the shop.

>What operating systems do you backup?

All linux so far.

>What is total amount of data you backup?

Around 23GB ATM

>Do you use dump or tar and why?

Tar, because it can do subdirs.

>How often do you do full backups?

dumpcycle 4

>I am very interested in examples of tape-free implementations of
> Amanda, where backups are done only to disk.

Doing that here for something over a year now, using a 175GB partition
on a 200GB disk, works fine.

>What tape drives and what autochanger do you use?

I wore out 4 Seagate 4586n's before I gave upon tape.

>How large is your holding disk?

About 25GB

>How often do you restore files? (on average and what are thy typical
>scenarios)

Not often enough, whatever gets destroyed often gets a new version
installed rather than pull from the backups.

>Do you use compression and where (hardware, client or server)?

Only on those dles that are responsive to compression, always server
using gzip of course.

>Do you use encryption and which one?

No.  My firewall is pretty tight.

>How do you backup Windows? (if you have any)

I just bought a lappy, but if it gets backed up, it will be only the
linux I may put on it.  Thats another day & project not quite within my
radar just yet.

>---------
>Please reply directly to dj AT zmanda DOT com
>
>Thank you so much.
>Dmitri Joukovski

message by Gene Heskett are: