Amanda-Users

Amanda and localhost definition?

2006-04-11 12:02:24
Subject: Amanda and localhost definition?
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:59:11 -0400
I'm setting up a new Ubuntu box as my next generation Amanda server.
Somehow the /etc/hosts file for this machine was created looking like this:

170.85.113.24   localhost.localdomain   localhost

At least _I think_ this was what was there. I did not keep a copy, as I
thought I new how to set up a hosts file. Little did I know :-(

I really did not pick up on this for quite some time, Finally i tracing
down why email from this machine would not work I noticed this. So I
changed it to:

127.0.0.1       localhost
170.85.113.24   amanda amanda.meadwestvaco.com

But now I seem to have confused Amanda, for instance if I run amcheck, I
get:

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: amanda: [Can't open exclude file
'/opt/amanda/lib/gnutar_exclude_list': No such file or directory]
ERROR: amanda: [could not access /dumpdisk (/dumpdisk): No such file or
directory]
ERROR: amanda: [could not access /data_backups (/data_backups): No such
file or directory]

These are local disk on the Amanda machine (whose name is amanda logically
enough).

Looking at the backups of the previous machine (which ran  an earlier version
of Amanda), ( it was a Debian machine BTW). I find that the hosts file on it
looked like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost
170.85.109.24   debian debian.meadwestvaco.com

Yes, same IP address, and a different name. I changed that in the DNS for
clarity.

I guess I really don't know what I am doing here :-(

Can anyone show me the error of my ways?

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror