Amanda-Users

Re: Intelegence of amflush

2006-02-23 08:42:14
Subject: Re: Intelegence of amflush
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:38:35 +0100
On 2006-02-23 14:18, Peter Mueller wrote:

Did you specify "taperalgo largestfit" in the amanda.conf? Or any other?

I will check that, probably not, because I dont remember this parameter.

Is was missing, which means "first" - I changed this to "smallest" to give the
2rd and 3rd level images a chance to get thru ..

The "largestfit" reverts to "smallest" when nothing fits (because
that one has the most chance of fitting in the unknown gap near the
end of tape).

When start taping "smallest" in the beginning, you got only large
ones left near the end of a tape, and that means you loose a lot of
the tape capacity, because the failed image has to be started all
over again on the next tape.

But now I am stuck with a question I didnt get an answer when I posted it
here last time:

What's the correct way to remove an image from the holding disk, that
cant be backed up by using amflush (because its too big !?!):

-) Is it sufficcient to remove it by unix rm ?

yes.  and in that case you better schedule a level 0 again for
that DLE.

-) Is there any command e.g. with amadmin to remove it

no, but it would be a nice addition.

-) Is there any way to tell amanda that this image does not exist, or
  that its' backed up (by hand to tapes not labeled by amanda in my
  case) ?

no. but would be nice.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *