Amanda-Users

Re: Intelegence of amflush

2006-02-23 05:36:57
Subject: Re: Intelegence of amflush
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:32:15 +0100
On 2006-02-23 11:05, Peter Mueller wrote:

It happened again, that a "disk" grew over the lenght of a tape, and
so its backup got stuck on the holding disk.

And as it is all the time it happened when i was out of office
for some days...

I knew its my concern as the sysadmin to split it into smaller
pieces ...

But it would be "nice" if amflush could recognise this
situation and would try to flush the other backups on the holding
disk if it could not flush the big one once, and not tryigng to flush
the one that gave an error last time again and again .... producing
empty tapes and ambackup fills up the holding disk with level 2 and 3
backups every night ....

What version of amanda is that?
Did you specify "taperalgo largestfit" in the amanda.conf? Or any other?
How many "runtapes" do you have?

I guess that if you have only one runtape, and autoflush, then amanda
starts a flush, while doing the estimates for the current run.  It
could well be that amanda does start indeed the large, probably not-fitting image (because that is the only one to choose from, even
when largestfit is choosen), before the first nightly dump image is
finished.  In that case, it will indeed fill up the only tape.

When there is only one image to choose from, Amanda will take that one,
even if it will probably not fit.  Changing that will make many other
users of Amanda unhappy, e.g. those using hardware compression because
their tape length is just a wild guess of the truth, or even me, because
I underestimate the tape length a bit, so that amanda has a few percent
margin with estimates being smaller than real dumps (that's why I get
tapes filled with 106%).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *