Amanda-Users

Re: Intelegence of amflush

2006-02-23 08:35:41
Subject: Re: Intelegence of amflush
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:31:06 +0100
On 2006-02-23 14:03, Peter Mueller wrote:
Paul Bijnens wrote:
When there is only one image to choose from, Amanda will take that one,
even if it will probably not fit.  Changing that will make many other
users of Amanda unhappy, e.g. those using hardware compression because
their tape length is just a wild guess of the truth, or even me, because
I underestimate the tape length a bit, so that amanda has a few percent
margin with estimates being smaller than real dumps (that's why I get
tapes filled with 106%).

That's perfectly o.k. . But im my case there where about 25 images to choose from.

But it will choose the correct one when you specify "taperalgo largestfit". (The default is the first one found.)

I was thinking about an "error recovery strategy" by "remembering" that this image introduced an error last time, so if there are several others, skip it first and give the others a try so that they get a chance to find their way to the tape ....

The problem here is that when you had a real tape error, and then try
to flush o a new tape, then amanda refuses to put that one tape, because
it got an error last time?  Not good.  So how you do see if you got
a real error or just EOT.  Explain me, because I surely want to know.
AFAICT most drivers do not distinguish between write error or EOT.
(At least that is my experience.)

But anyway, I have allready changed the disklist so hopefully in two or three days the new split up "disks" will be backed up .... until it strikes next time.

See also:

  http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Filling_a_tape_to_100%25

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *