Amanda-Users

Re: about reuse/no-reuse

2006-02-04 17:36:05
Subject: Re: about reuse/no-reuse
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 17:27:51 -0500
On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:35:25PM +0100, Cédric Lucantis wrote:

> > If my guess is correct, amanda is working fine.  You told it 5
> > tapes were in rotation but only 3 really are.  It will not use
> > the 3 again until it gets at least a total of 5 available and
> > used.
>
> Your guess is correct :) but 1) it works fine with only 3 tapes until it
> falls
> on a no-reusable one, 2) I'm using a file driver and I apparently cannot
> create and/or label more vtapes than the tape cycle, and I cannot choose
> which tape will be the next (I also read some tricks about this in the
> archive like manually modifying the tapelist but it does not seem to work).

1) It will work fine with 3 "new" vtapes or with 3 vtapes that are the
   least recently used.  But in general, amanda will never reuse any
   tape if the total number of tapes it has available does not match
   or exceed the tapecycle count.

2) As I haven't used vtapes for a loong time, where do you encounter
   the limitation that the total number of vtapes can not exceed
   tapecycle?

   I have manually modified the tapelist many times.  Depends on
   what you want to do.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)