Amanda-Users

Re: Question about vtape size

2006-02-03 04:07:18
Subject: Re: Question about vtape size
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:58:10 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:

How are current users sizing their vtapes and what has
been their experience in disk usage?

I've divided my ~160GB removable disks into 5 vtapes each. I have a total of 8 DLEs, two of which are >40 GB (after compression) and the rest are no larger than 2 GB. On the days when no "large" DLEs get a level 0, vtape usage is only 4 GB or so, whereas on other days it is, of course >40 GB.

So I've set the vtape size to 51 GB. 5x51 > 160, but since most of the slots get filled to <10% of the vtape size, this is no problem. It has generally worked well for past couple of years. Interestingly enough, I'm having my first problem with this approach just this week. Past couple of weeks, the changing of removable disks has been repeatedly delayed/forgotten, hence Amanda is desperately trying to do level 0 of everything. Once the disk got replaced, it started writing new level 0s of the large DLEs to the first slots on the disk, while the previous level 0s were still in the last slots. So the disk filled up. We've forgotten to replace the disks on time before, but this is the first time it has caused such problem. Probably because this time we forgot it really bad, for several weeks in the row.

I guess if I would split up these large DLEs into smaller pieces using excludes, the problem wouldn't be as bad.

When the disks are changed properly, they get filled to ~67%.

--
... Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.