Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover unknown protocol error

2006-01-31 20:15:26
Subject: Re: amrecover unknown protocol error
From: Shang-Lin Chen <schen AT gps.caltech DOT edu>
To: "Ram \"TK\" Krishnamurthy" <tk AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:56:09 -0800
On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 11:57 -0800, Ram "TK" Krishnamurthy wrote:
> What does amidxtaped.*.debug contain in /tmp/amanada [assuming thats
> where you server log files are]? Do you check all you xinetd/inetd
> settings for services?

Well, it was the inetd and services settings that were causing the
error. amidxtaped wasn't listed in /etc/services or
in /etc/inet/inetd.conf. I added amidxtaped and got rid of the protocol
error, but amrecover exited with an error because it couldn't read the
tape. Now the tape is stuck in the drive with the "Busy" light blinking,
amanda thinks the tape drive is empty, and the eject button doesn't
work. Bad hardware, I suppose.

Thanks,
Shang-Lin