Amanda-Users

System Crash when using Amanda

2006-01-10 15:15:40
Subject: System Crash when using Amanda
From: "Gordon J. Mills III" <Gordon.Mills AT usa DOT net>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:03:49 -0600
I hope this is not a rerun of a previous topic but I have not found anything
on the net yet. I have amanda 2.4.5 running on 2 different servers. The
problem started about 5 or 6 weeks after implementing amanda. Kernel is 2.6.
Several times, shortly after amanda started a backup the server locked up. I
could not log on at the console and it did not respond to any services. It
seems to be related to when amanda accesses the tape drive to write to tape.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the cause (and a possible
solution) to this problem. I have had to suspend backups on both servers
since it happened on both.

In fact, the first one ended up crashing 3 times and somehow the server
became unrecoverable. I installed a totally new server with new SCSI card
for the tape drive and it locked up after 1 week.

Hopefully someone will have some insight.

Thanks,
Gordon