Amanda-Users

Re: ACLs in inode #bla won't be dumped

2005-09-28 20:34:14
Subject: Re: ACLs in inode #bla won't be dumped
From: David Leangen <dleangen AT canada DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:30:05 +0900

Well, I guess I'm convinced to try out tar, but not to play the devil's advocate, I'm just curious...

I don't (didn't) use tar at Purdue, in general, because it
> changes the access time on the files it backs up.  That's a
> very bad thing.

Why is this such a bad thing? If we suppose that (1) crashes do not occur often, so recovering is really an extreme situation, and (2) just having the data is "good enough", why would access times and the like matter so much?

Our workaround was to use a GNU tar wrapper (2000+ lines of
> finely crafted Perl) for LVM volumes that created a snapshot and
> backed that up.  We just ignored the access time problem for file
> systems not under LVM control.

Is something that is publicly available? If so, where could I find this?

Thank you!!