Amanda-Users

Re: ACLs in inode #bla won't be dumped

2005-09-27 12:10:46
Subject: Re: ACLs in inode #bla won't be dumped
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:50:41 -0400
On Tuesday 27 September 2005 02:48, David Leangen wrote:

[...]

>Why would tar be better than dump? It seems to me, based on what my
>understanding of the two are, that dump is more appropriate. That's not
>the case?

Well, tar is file based, and its recovery can be to an already
occupied directory.  Dump does the disk structure (AIUI) so that the
recovered stuff goes back to the same place on the disk (if I've got
it right that is, corrections welcome)  Tar frankly is all I've ever
used here, and one can actually do a bare metal restore with nothing
more than dd, tar & gzip.

>Thanks again!
>Dave

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)