Amanda-Users

Re: ACLs in inode #bla won't be dumped

2005-09-27 03:03:35
Subject: Re: ACLs in inode #bla won't be dumped
From: David Leangen <dleangen AT canada DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:48:20 +0900

Interesting...

Ok, so I tried a few things, but it seems that things are only getting worse...

Ok, I'll check that out. Maybe it has something to do with SELinux...

Good possibility.  One of the first things a "secure" unix system
generally does is remove the notion of a "super-user".

Actually, my SELinux is set to "disabled", so this can't be the problem
after all...

Is it possible that dump doesn't do symbolic links? So, if I have
/part1/somedir --> /part2/some/other/dir, since I am trying to dump data
that is not actually on the partition, would this cause a problem?

Start with man pages setfacl and getfacl (I think those are the
names in FC3).

Yes, you're right. Ok, so ACL is just the name for file and directory
permissions... no big deal at all.

Appears your release does not do ACLs, but if you upgrade your
dump/restore by 3 releases maybe the messages will go away.

Tried that. You were right! It did solve the ACL error. I'm getting a new error now, though:

sendbackup: time xxx 88: strange(?): dump: symbol lookup error: dump: undefined symbol: ext2fs_read_inode_full

sendbackup: time xxx 93: normal(|): DUMP: DUMP* Bad return code from dump: 127

Also, unfortunately, NOTHING is getting copied now to my backup disk...

We'ed prefer that tar was used in most cases.

Why would tar be better than dump? It seems to me, based on what my
understanding of the two are, that dump is more appropriate. That's not
the case?

Thanks again!
Dave