Amanda-Users

Re: error recovery

2005-09-06 13:29:32
Subject: Re: error recovery
From: Rodrigo Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:29:27 +0100
Thank you all for the valuable tips (might be a good idea to put some
of those Q&A in a FAQ).

    Alexander> Since you seem to have 30GB tapes, splitting up those
    Alexander> dumps above 3GB might be a good idea anyway, of course.
    Alexander> (Think optimisation of tape usage, and restore speed.)

Yeah, it's those DAT's 36/72. I'm using 72x6 autoloader from HP, so
things like 24 tapes are out of the question. I have the sixth slot
with the cleaner tape. I guess it's better to take the cleaner tape
out and buy a DAT tape for that slot.

Until now, each dump uses about 60% of a 36/72 tape (software
compression), with a 4 tape cycle. I could decrease the cycle to 3
tapes, maybe. Or maybe just adding a sixth tape is enough (2 tapes
redundancy).

W.r.t. splitting dumps, is it safe to change the DLE file anytime? I'm
afraid of confusing amanda by changing the DLE file...

So, right now I'll run amflush to put the dumps on holing disk to
tape. Tomorrow night a new dump will run on crontab, and tomorrow
let's see what happens.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

--

*** Rodrigo Martins de Matos Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
***  Web page: http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~yoda