Amanda-Users

Re: many dumps in parallel

2005-06-20 06:50:38
Subject: Re: many dumps in parallel
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:37:11 +0200
Vects wrote:

> I changed inparallel and maxdumps but it didn't help.
> See below the configuration files of amanda.
>
> inparallel 10

> define dumptype global {
>     comment "Global definitions"
>     index yes
>     record no
>     maxdumps 10
> }
>
> define dumptype act-full {
>     global
>     comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
>     compress none
>     priority high
>     dumpcycle 0
> }

I would start testing without any spindle-numbers inside disklist.
Until you get parallelity into your backups there is no need to restrict
it ;-)

Also re-read the manpage for the description of the two parameters:

"maxdumps" limits the number of dumper processes per DLE, while
"inparallel" limits the overall number of dumper processes running in
parallel.

It won't hurt to increase "inparallel" to 16 or something, IMHO it
should be set higher than "maxdumps" for a given dumptype, otherwise it
could happen, that one greedy DLE grabs all "inparallel"
dumper-processes and your parallelity is gone (unlikely, I know).

So:

- remove spindle-numbers for a start
- set inparallel to 16
- set maxdumps to 5 inside your global-dumptype
- watch the behavior by using amstatus, and look out for things like
"client-restrained" which tell you more ...

You might also use amplot to generate graphs for analysis of your
bottlenecks, which analyses your amdump-file (which you might also
simply show us, as Paul just now suggested).

Stefan G. Weichinger
sgw AT amanda DOT org