Amanda-Users

Re: Determining appropriate backup strategy

2005-03-31 17:38:03
Subject: Re: Determining appropriate backup strategy
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:24:50 -0500
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 03:47:51PM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
> I am using amanda to back up my servers. I have the following situation:
>
> There is about 42G of data to be backed up on one particular machine.
> This data is mostly static data in a directory structure which creates a
> new directory whenever 1000 files are in the current directory and
> numbers the new directory incrementally.  It looks like this:
>
> /project/newarchive/0 contains files 0-999
> /project/newarchive/1 contains files 1000-1999
> /project/newarchive/1 contains files 2000-2999
> etc.
>
> The previous directories are necessary for the program to run
> successfully but will remain static once the next directory is created.
> I need a backup solution that is appropriate for this. What is
> appropriate for this situation?

Wouldn't the standard solution be appropriate here?

I presume you do want an occassional full backup of even the static data.
For the incrementals, only things which change (I guess files added) are
backed up.  As long as the files haven't changed since the last higher
level dump (lower numerically) then those files will not appear in the
incrementals.

You may want to play with bumpdays and bumpmultiplier to ensure you get
several dump levels between level 0 dumps.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)