Amanda-Users

Determining appropriate backup strategy

2005-03-31 15:55:03
Subject: Determining appropriate backup strategy
From: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:47:51 -0500
I am using amanda to back up my servers. I have the following situation:

There is about 42G of data to be backed up on one particular machine. This data is mostly static data in a directory structure which creates a new directory whenever 1000 files are in the current directory and numbers the new directory incrementally. It looks like this:

/project/newarchive/0 contains files 0-999
/project/newarchive/1 contains files 1000-1999
/project/newarchive/1 contains files 2000-2999
etc.

The previous directories are necessary for the program to run successfully but will remain static once the next directory is created. I need a backup solution that is appropriate for this. What is appropriate for this situation?

Vicki

P.S. I think I asked before but didn't get an answer. Is there a source for an explanation of the different priorities of backups. I have the following defined from an inherited amanda.conf file:

always-full (obvious)
comp-low-tar
comp-med-tar
comp-high-tar
low-tar
med-tar
high-tar
comp-low-dump
comp-med-dump
comp-high-dump
low-dump
med-dump
high-dump

The explanations in the amanda.conf are insufficient. I need to know what decisions amanda makes when determining how often to back up each dumptype.