Amanda-Users

Level-0's being overwritten

2005-03-31 16:10:55
Subject: Level-0's being overwritten
From: Mark Costlow <cheeks AT swcp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:06:39 GMT
I've got a situation where I'm probably backing up too much data for the
size of "tape" I'm using (I'm using the file driver, but with relatively
small 40G vtapes).  I believe the core of my problem is that several of my
DLEs are producing pretty large incrementals (a few 5G, some 10G,
occasionally 15G).

I'm taking steps to remedy the situation, but it has led to some behavior
that I don't understand and wanted to ask if anyone has a good explanation
of it (or something I might be doing wrong).

The issue is that these large incremental dumps seem to "starve" the planner
and prevent it from doing full dumps.  In general I understand the argument
is that it's better to get that nightly incremental and postpone the full
dump for a while.  But in my case, there are several DLEs whose full dumps
have been overwritten and are not getting replaced.  It seems that a full
dump for a DLE that doesn't have any full dumps in the db should take
precedence over any incremental dump.  I would rather miss one day of
the incremental of a big DLE than be skating out here on thin ice with
no level-0 of another DLE.

Of course, I recognize as I'm saying this that part of my point of view
comes from knowing what data is on these different DLEs and knowing that
I care differently about them.  It might be nice to be able to express
a priority for different DLEs.

If I force a full dump of a DLE with amadmin, that works.  I was considering
writing a script to do a force for any DLE which doesn't have a full dump
in the db.  That would express my preference without having to change amanda.

Here's some info about my config:

dumpcycle 15
runspercycle 15
tapecycle 45 tapes

bumpsize 100 Mb
bumpdays 1
bumpmult 4

My initial plan was to keep 45 days of backup and hope to have 2-3 full dumps
of each DLE.  But as it stands now, out of 74 DLEs, about 25 of them have
no full dump on tape.  They all had full dumps at one point, but as of now
these ~25 have had their last full dump overwritten.

Thanks for any advice,

Mark
--
Mark Costlow    | Southwest Cyberport | Fax:   +1-505-232-7975
cheeks AT swcp DOT com | Web:   www.swcp.com | Voice: +1-505-232-7992

      "Education is never a waste" - Viscount du Valmont