Amanda-Users

Re: Determining appropriate backup strategy

2005-03-31 17:38:03
Subject: Re: Determining appropriate backup strategy
From: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:24:43 -0500
Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 03:47:51PM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
P.S. I think I asked before but didn't get an answer. Is there a source for an explanation of the different priorities of backups. I have the following defined from an inherited amanda.conf file:

always-full (obvious)
comp-low-tar
comp-med-tar
comp-high-tar
low-tar
med-tar
high-tar
comp-low-dump
comp-med-dump
comp-high-dump
low-dump
med-dump
high-dump

The explanations in the amanda.conf are insufficient. I need to know what decisions amanda makes when determining how often to back up each dumptype.

A good additional place to read is the man pages.
Under priority this appears:

    priority "string"
         Default:  medium.  When there is no tape to  write  to,
         Amanda will do incremental backups in priority order to
         the  holding  disk.   The  priority  may  be   high(2),
         medium(1), low(0) or a number of your choice.

So the difference appears important only when saving ONLY to holding disk.
Then you can define which come earlier or later incase the holding disk
fills.

I think what I am really talking about is the dumptype. I have the ones I listed defined. I think I might be confusing them with priority. I suppose the dumptype could only mean level of compression. But then I need more information about how Amanda decides what to back up when. I'll look back to the amanda.org site.

Vicki