Amanda-Users

Re: Determining appropriate backup strategy

2005-03-31 17:19:14
Subject: Re: Determining appropriate backup strategy
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:17:00 -0500
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 03:47:51PM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:

> P.S. I think I asked before but didn't get an answer. Is there a source
> for an explanation of the different priorities of backups. I have the
> following defined from an inherited amanda.conf file:
>
> always-full (obvious)
> comp-low-tar
> comp-med-tar
> comp-high-tar
> low-tar
> med-tar
> high-tar
> comp-low-dump
> comp-med-dump
> comp-high-dump
> low-dump
> med-dump
> high-dump
>
> The explanations in the amanda.conf are insufficient. I need to know
> what decisions amanda makes when determining how often to back up each
> dumptype.

A good additional place to read is the man pages.
Under priority this appears:

     priority "string"
          Default:  medium.  When there is no tape to  write  to,
          Amanda will do incremental backups in priority order to
          the  holding  disk.   The  priority  may  be   high(2),
          medium(1), low(0) or a number of your choice.

So the difference appears important only when saving ONLY to holding disk.
Then you can define which come earlier or later incase the holding disk
fills.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)