Amanda-Users

Re: 20Gb tape not full

2005-03-14 11:38:23
Subject: Re: 20Gb tape not full
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:26:24 -0500
On Monday 14 March 2005 10:14, Mark Lidstone wrote:
>Ooops.  Answering my own question.  I had a limit on the amount of
> space to use on the holding disk - Just increased it, so that
> should sort it.
>
>Righto, have turned off hardware compression (using "mt -f /dev/nst0
>compression 0"), changed my tapetype (see below) and, as I said,
>increased the size of my holding disk.  I will keep an eye on this
>tonight.

You have one other problem with that.  The state of the hardware
compression is stored in a hidden header on the tape, and it will be
turned on against your will during the tape drives tape recognition
phase.

To cancel it for real, one must
rewind it
dd the label block out to a scratch file
rewind it
set the compression off with mt (do both variations)
dd the scratch file back to the tape, but this time use the rewinding
device to do it so that the closing of the path at the end of the dd
write will force a rewind, and that in turn will force the drive into
a buffer flush since its now dirty, thereby resetting that hidden
compression flag.

rewind it again & check with amcheck, should be ok.

Or, you can dd about 10 megs from /dev/zero to the non-rewinding
device after writing the label block back, which will eventually
force a buffer flush/write, doing the same thing in terms of
resetting the compression flag in the tape header.

What I'd do I think, is write a script to do this, and run an amcheck
to make sure the right tape is loaded before doing this, then have
cron run this script about half an hour before the main amanda run.
That way, you won't have destroyed any backups doing all that until
the same day the tape is to be reused anyway.  Once the tapecycle has
been used up and all tapes are set to off, then kill the crontab
entry as its just one more pass on the tapes leaders, and a DDS tape
dies quick enough as it is.

I hope this helps.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: