Amanda-Users

Re: 20Gb tape not full

2005-03-14 09:41:02
Subject: Re: 20Gb tape not full
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:31:37 -0500
On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 01:59:13PM -0000, Mark Lidstone enlightened us:

*snipped for brevity*

> Now, if I'm reading this right, it's saying that it's hit the end of a
> 20Gb tape at around the 5Gb mark.  Here's what I think are the relevant
> parts of my amanda.conf:
>
> tapetype HP-DDS-4
>
> define tapetype HP-DDS-4 {
>       comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression
> on)"
>       length 17021 mbytes
>       filemark 403 kbytes
>       speed 1578 kps
> }

The problem is that you're mixing hardware and software compression.

> > USAGE BY TAPE:
> >   Label          Time      Size      %    Nb
> >   Haslar12       1:10    5208.7   27.0     4

About 5GB was *successfully* written to tape, consisting of 4 files (Nb 4)

> > NOTES:
> >   taper: tape Haslar12 kb 16875296 fm 5 writing file: No space left on
> device

The tape drive hit end of tape just shy of 17GB, which makes sense for a
DDS-4 drive in which both hardware and software compression are being used.
I would strongly recommend shutting off hardware compression on the drive
and readjusting your tapetype to be closer to the 20GB native tape size.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics