Amanda-Users

Re: 20Gb tape not full

2005-03-14 11:27:39
Subject: Re: 20Gb tape not full
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:10:07 -0500
On Monday 14 March 2005 08:59, Mark Lidstone wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've had a search through the FAQ, generally on the 'net and through
> the list archives, but I can't seem to find anyone else reporting
> similar symptoms to me, so here I go with my first post to the
> list.  If I've made a mistake, please be gentle...
>
>I have a Linux box at another site.  It's running Amanda 2.4.4p2 and
> is plugged into a Compaq DDS4 drive.
>
>Partway through a full nightly backup I'm getting the following
> email
>
>back:
>> These dumps were to tape Haslar12.
>> *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on
>> device]]. Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk. Run
>> amflush to flush them to tape. The next tape Amanda expects to use
>> is: Haslar14.
>>
>> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>>   olympic    /samba/company lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
>>   olympic    /samba/company lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection
>
>reset by
>peer"]
>
>>   olympic    /samba/company lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>>

>> STATISTICS:
>>                           Total       Full      Daily
>>                         --------   --------   --------
>> Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
>> Run Time (hrs:min)         5:07
>> Dump Time (hrs:min)        1:10       1:10       0:00
>> Output Size (meg)        5208.7     5208.7        0.0
>> Original Size (meg)      8918.1     8918.1        0.0
>> Avg Compressed Size (%)    58.4       58.4        --
>> Filesystems Dumped            4          4          0
>> Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      1272.8     1272.8        --
>>
>> Tape Time (hrs:min)        1:10       1:10       0:00
>> Tape Size (meg)          5208.7     5208.7        0.0
>> Tape Used (%)              27.0       27.0        0.0
>> Filesystems Taped             4          4          0
>> Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)  1274.0     1274.0        --
>>
>> USAGE BY TAPE:
>>   Label          Time      Size      %    Nb
>>   Haslar12       1:10    5208.7   27.0     4
>>

>> FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>>
>> /-- olympic    /samba/company lev 0 FAILED ["data write:
>> Connection
>
>reset
>by peer"]
>
>> sendbackup: start [olympic:/samba/company level 0]
>> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
>> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
>> sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
>> sendbackup: info end
>> \--------
>>

>> NOTES:
>>   taper: tape Haslar12 kb 16875296 fm 5 writing file: No space
>> left on
>
>device
>
>> DUMP SUMMARY:
>>                                      DUMPER STATS            TAPER
>
>STATS
>
>> HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s
>> MMM:SS
>
>KB/s
>
>> -------------------------- ---------------------------------

> [...]

[snip legal disclaimer nobody pays any attention to anyway]

My first guess is that somewhere along the line, you've got some old
DDS2 tapes mixed into the stack somehow.

run an 'amtapetype -e 20GB -f /dev/whatever-it-is'.  With hardware
compression on, you should get about what you have in your
amanda.conf.

Please note that the majority of us usually recommend the hardware
compression be turned off, in which case you'll get a bit less, the
lower of the two capcities the marketroids like to claim.  But in
some instances you will get a lot more than 20GB of data stored
because gzip is more efficient than the hardware compressors.  Last
night here, for instance:

Output Size (meg)        7303.0     6632.4      670.6
Original Size (meg)     16943.6    15064.9     1878.7
Avg Compressed Size (%)    36.1       36.2       35.0  (level:#disks)

This with a tapetype set for about 8GB.  No problem.  Expand that to a
10GB tapetype, and you can see that over 20GB would have fit after
gzip munched on it a while.  Conversely, some other nights run may
have been most of my tar.gz's etc, and only 13GB would have fit.  But
amanda would have been happy in either event.

We do this because amanda counts bytes sent down the cable, which if
using software compression, is after the compression, so it knows to
within a percent or so, exactly how much a tape can hold.  When
hardware is in use, amanda has no idea how much tape has been used
because the commpression depends very much on the kind of data, and
you must set the size down somewhat so that amanda can handle what it
thinks will be an overflow with a bit more grace.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: