Amanda-Users

Re: taper write error even though amcheck -sclt says ok.

2005-03-10 23:31:59
Subject: Re: taper write error even though amcheck -sclt says ok.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:26:30 -0500
On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 02:15:07AM +0000, Bruce S. Skinner wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> I've considered all the good suggestions, but it isn't anything like
> write-protect or anything that simple (after all I just used amlabel
> to label 12 tapes).  I installed the manual changer to no effect.
> I've looked in /tmp/amanda and didn't notice anything there, However,
> there is a strange warning in the amflush report (136314880 KB
> requested, but only 100704808 KB available).  Can anyone decipher
> this?  Is it related to the taper error immediately following?

Don't know, but I'll bet on the file system of /var/spool/amanda,
your holding disk, that there was only 100GB available at the time
you ran this.  Your amanda.conf tells amanda to use 130 GB, and
130 GB = 1024*1024*130 KB = 136314880 KB.

Particularly if you are going to let dumps accumulate on the holding
disk, you don't want it to tell it to use 130GB each time.  Perhaps
a better choice would be the syntax that tells it to us all the
available space, or all "but" a small piece.  I'm too lazy to look
it up for sure, but I think they are no "use" directive and "use -X GB".

>  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - start amflush report  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
>
>   *** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!
>
>   The dumps were flushed to tape Norstead06.
>   The next 3 tapes Amanda expects to used are: a new tape, a new tape,
> Norstead01.
>   The next 3 new tapes already labelled are: Norstead07, Norstead08,
> Norstead09.

Amanda doesn't know that those will be the tapes in the drive at the time it
goes looking for a tape.  It only knows it has used 6 tapes (01 - 06) and is
not supposed to reuse any of them until the nineth one is needed (tapecycle 8).
YOU, only YOU, know what order YOU want them in.  Amanda only cares what order
it saw (past tense) them in.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)