Amanda-Users

Re: taper write error even though amcheck -sclt says ok.

2005-03-10 21:47:51
Subject: Re: taper write error even though amcheck -sclt says ok.
From: Bruce.Skinner AT drdc-rddc.gc DOT ca (Bruce S. Skinner)
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 11 Mar 2005 01:48:05 +0000
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 03:51:49PM +0000, Bruce S. Skinner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running amanda 2.4.4p2 on ubuntu linux (Warty) kernel v2.6.8.1.4 I
> > have a new configuration called "Norstead"; I've amlabel'ed all the
> > tapes; I put tape "Norstead01" in the drive; I run amcheck (sudo -u
> > backup amcheck -sclt Norstead) which reports all is ok;
> >
> > I invoke amdump (sudo -u backup amdump Norstead) the estimates get
> > done and dump sets start rolling onto my holding disk.  The smallest
> > dump is alsike_boot at 28MB so it's done first and when taper attempts
> > to write it says:
> >
> >   FAIL taper alsike alsike_boot 20050310 0 [out of tape].
> >
> > I'm running a DLT8000 with no tape changer, but have set "runtapes 3"
> > with "autoflush on" on the assumption that when a tape gets full it
> > will wait for me to load another and kick it with amflush.
>
> I think you will have to use a changer script like chg-manual.

I've installed chg-manual, and don't see any change.

> > Any ideas what I've done/assumed wrong or what I should do next to
> > sort this out.
> >

> > regards :-)
> > BruceS
> >

> > /var/log/amanda/Norstead/log:
> >
> >   DISK planner alsike alsike_root
> >   DISK planner alsike alsike_boot
> >   DISK planner alsike alsike_archive_a
> >   DISK planner alsike alsike_archive_b
> >   DISK planner alsike alsike_home
> >   START planner date 20050310
> >   WARNING planner tapecycle (8) <= runspercycle (28)
>
> That doesn't sound good. Says you have 8 tapes and earlier you
> said you might use 3 per run.  Further, this says you might
> run dumps 28 times between level 0 dumps.  Not good at all.

I know it looks bad on the surface, however I know I can dump this
whole system up on 3 tapes and then the daily dumps won't be all
that large.   So my plan is after seeing that the full dumps make it
to tape, I'll only  stick a tape in the drive every week letting the
incremental dumps build up on /var/spool/amanda.  Even though
tapecycle is 8 their are 12 tapes on the shelf.  Does this make sense,
or am I out to lunch?

> [...]
> >   INFO planner Adding new disk alsike:alsike_archive_b.
> >   INFO planner Adding new disk alsike:alsike_home.
> >   START driver date 20050310
> >   START taper datestamp 20050310 label Norstead01 tape 0
> >   FINISH planner date 20050310
> >   STATS driver startup time 93.144
> >   SUCCESS dumper alsike alsike_boot 20050310 0 [sec 2.967 kb 28284 kps
> > 9532.0 orig-kb 31700]
> >   INFO taper tape Norstead01 kb 32 fm 1 writing file: Input/output error
> >   FAIL taper alsike alsike_boot 20050310 0 [out of tape]
> >   ERROR taper no-tape [[cannot overwrite active tape Norstead01]]
>

> Norstead01 still has data on it that amanda believes you want to keep.
> You have used Norstead01 before and have not gone through a tapecycle's
> worth of tapes since using it.  See options to amadmin about manipulating
> the tapelist.
>

> >   WARNING driver going into degraded mode because of tape error.
> >   SUCCESS dumper alsike alsike_archive_a 20050310 0 [sec 1440.600 kb
> > 13208871 kps 9169.0 orig-kb 15927860]
> >
> > /etc/amanda/Norstead/amanda.conf:
> >
> >   #
> >   # amanda.conf - NorsteadDailySet1
> >   #
> >   # If your configuration is called, say, "DailySet1", then this file
> >   # normally goes in /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf.
> >   # for explanation of the parameters refer to amanda(8) and
> >   # /usr/doc/amanda/WHATS.NEW.gz
> >
> >   org "NorsteadDailySet1"       # your organization name for reports
> >   mailto "root"         # space separated list of operators at your site
> >   dumpuser "backup"     # the user to run dumps under
> >
> >   inparallel 4          # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
> >   netusage  600         # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec
> >
> >   # a filesystem is due for a full backup once every <dumpcycle> days
> >   dumpcycle 4 weeks     # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
> >   tapecycle 8 tapes     # the number of tapes in rotation
> >   runtapes 3    # The maximum number of tapes used in a single run.  Note
> > that
> >                 # this is an upper bound on the number of tapes, and Amanda
> > may
> >                 # use less.
> >
> >   bumpsize 20 MB                # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level
> > 1 -> 2
> >   bumpdays     1                # minimum days at each level
> >   bumpmult     4                # threshold = bumpsize * (level-1)**bumpmult
> >
> >   #tpchanger "no-changer" # the tape-changer glue script, see TAPE.CHANGERS
> >   tapedev       "/dev/nst0"     # the (no-rewind!) tape device.
> >   tapetype DLT-IV               # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes
> > below)
> >   labelstr "^Norstead[0-9][0-9]*$"  # label constraint regex: all tapes
> >                                   # must match.
> >   taperalgo largestfit  # Do The largest dump image that will fit on the
> >                         # current tape next.
> >
> >   diskdir "/var/spool/amanda"  # where the holding disk is
>

> What is this, another keyword I did not see sneak in?

You mean diskdir?  The path to the holding disk?

--

Bruce S. Skinner
Defence R&D Canada - Atlantic