Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda long term archiving issue

2005-03-03 12:19:22
Subject: Re: Amanda long term archiving issue
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:11:21 -0500
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:16:42PM +0100, Iulian Topliceanu wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 05:32:01PM +0100, Iulian Topliceanu wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I have to do following:
> >>
> >>Backup more volumes on a single tape until the tape is full (to avoid
> >>the waste tapes)
> >
> >See the Top-Ten Questions list:
> >
> >http://www.amanda.org/docs/topten.html#id2519862
> >
> I read it before posting and I was trying to avoid to depend only on my
> holding disk that's why I was trying to save it on tape once a week. The
> same tape each week.

We have different senses of risk.  You place your faith in a single tape
not failing, but not in a hard disk.

> Is it possible to flush the information on tape without erasing it from
> the holding disk? So when I flush it again the next week I get again
> week1 + week2 on the tape.

This is getting out of bounds of normal amanda usage, but what the hay,
unix is supposed to be flexible.

If you create a second directory tree on the same file system as your
holding disk, you may make links, hard links, not symbolic, to each
of the file in the second directory tree.  Then when amanda does its
flush, it will remove the names (links) in the real holding disk,
but not he data as the second links still exist.

These files can still be used for recovery, I think using amrestore,
and definitely standard unix tools, but I'm not sure amrecover will
work because the index will think they are on the tape.

Later you can redo the original links and directories in the holding disk.
Whether amflush will flush both these old dumps and new dumps I have no
idea.  And if it does, I have no idea what that will do to the index.

All this manipulation could be scripted of course, so you don't have to
do it by hand, file by file.

> The thing I quite not understand (I bet there are lots more): how can I
> configure AMANDA so I can go back in history 21 days for example?
> Without having a set of tapes for each run (supposing AMANDA will run
> only on weekdays) Is this possible? Guess not but I'm still asking.

What do you mean by "a set of tapes for each run".  Would you fill multiple
tapes EACH weekday run?  If so, why the holding disk/amflush shenanigans?

Yes, you would need multiple tapes.  Not necessarily multiple tapes per
run.  Following amanda norms, you would need about 15 tapes for your 3 weeks
of history.  I'd probably make it 20 to be more sure.

If you are playing the holding disk/amflush games, why not do your amdumps
every day?  Just curious why limit it to weekdays if you are just letting
them collect on the holding disk til an amflush.

And if you are going to do the amflush think, maybe get about 5 tapes.
Set the "autoflush" parameter in amanda.conf.  Each Friday, stick a tape
in before you go home.  Amanda will do that days' dump and an amflush
at the same time.  In this case, don't schedule for the weekend.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)