Amanda-Users

Re[2]: Backup image tape spanning, a look back and a look ahead...

2005-02-23 11:52:49
Subject: Re[2]: Backup image tape spanning, a look back and a look ahead...
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: "amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:45:35 +0100
Hello, John,

just now (on 02/23/2005 at 16:27) you wrote:

JS> Just a note, on the expectation that people will ask after the status of my
JS> span/split patch.  The most recent release is a patch against 2.4.5, and
works
JS> pretty well for me.  I've had one report of amrecover troubles with it, but
JS> I've been unable to reproduce that so far (I use the amfetchdump util that
JS> comes with the patch, myself).  So, it's not abandoned or anything, just
idling
JS> for feedback.

JS> I haven't made any efforts to port it to the 2.5.0 tree, because in the
grand
JS> scheme of things I don't really know what's up with 2.5.0, or for that
matter
JS> whether the core team thinks my code is the work of a jabbering fool (and,
ok,
JS> it is, but that may be immaterial to its utility :).

As you may have read on the hackers-list, there are new efforts to get
on with 2.5.0. There are some problems to be solved to make that step,
so it will take some more time. 2.4.5 will happen earlier (we only
have 2.4.5b1 now ...).

The core-team does not think your code is the work of a fool (at least
I don't think so and I don't know of someone doing so ;-) ).
Jean-Louis once wrote to me that he wants to include your patch in an
upcoming 2.4.6 or similar ... but you have to ask him for details.

I am far too less a programmer to judge the quality of your work, but
I would also like to see AMANDA's capabilities improved, as Bruce
noticed.

The latest Wishlist was an attempt to define the TODO-list for
AMANDA-development, maybe we should improve communications even more
to pull in more amanda-hackers ...

Stefan